Foreign Legal Consultant Certification
All foreign-educated attorneys are encouraged to provide complete contact information for their licensing and educational entities. This information should include the name of the entity, its mailing address, phone number, fax number, website and email address. A street address should also be provided if it is different from the mailing address. Country codes should be provided with phone/fax numbers.
These attorneys are also encouraged to provide fax numbers, websites, and email addresses for the employers from whom they are seeking credit towards the practice requirements found in Rule XIII.
This information will need to
be provided in a separate letter that accompanies the Application.
Read Rule XIV of the current Rules Governing Admission to the Bar of Texas, and the applicable statutory provisions found in Texas Government Code, Sec. 82.001 et seq., all of which are contained in the Board of Law Examiners’ (Board) rulebook before submitting the Application For Foreign Legal Consultant (FLC) Certification. We also suggest reading the Texas Disciplinary Rules of Professional Conduct, set forth in Article X, Section 9 of the State Bar Rules, posted on the Internet at www.txethics.org/reference_rules.asp.
Although it is each applicant's responsibility to be familiar with all of the Rules Governing Admission to the Bar of Texas, you may wish to start with the following links:
· Rule I (Definitions and General Provisions)
Before you file your application for FLC certification, verify that you have fully answered all questions on the forms and have included all required documentation. Your application form will not be considered filed and may be returned to you if it is incomplete. Examples of incompleteness include, but are not limited to, the following:
3. Filing of Application: Mail or deliver your application and required fees to the Board as follows:
Application for Renewal for Foreign Legal Consultant Certification
Review Rule XIV.
Pursuant to Rule XIV, the Foreign Legal Consultant certification is valid for one year, and is renewable upon the filing with the Board of an annual request, which shall be accompanied by:
As stated in Rule XVIII(a), the fee to renew a Foreign Legal Consultant Certification alternates between $150.00 and $300.00 with every other renewal application.
With your application for renewal, you must attach the required documentation as outlined on the Special Notice Regarding Rule XIV Documentation and proof that you have completed three (3) hours of Continuing Legal Education (CLE) in ethics programs approved by The State Bar of Texas Committee on Minimum Continuing Legal Education. CLE reporting forms are found at www.texasbarcle.com. You and the sponsor of the CLE course must complete such forms. The completed form must be attached to your application for renewal. If you do not attach the properly completed form verifying that you have completed the three (3) hours of approved ethics CLE programs, your application for renewal will be returned to you unprocessed.
1. Download and complete the Foreign Legal Consultant Renewal Application. Use the Foreign Legal Consultant Renewal Application only if you are currently a Foreign Legal Consultant seeking to renew your certification. Carefully read the instructions on the application form prior to submitting your application for renewal.
2. Filing Fees: Make your check, money order, or bank cashier’s check payable in the full amount due to the BOARD OF LAW EXAMINERS (NOT to the State Bar of Texas). As stated in Rule XVIII(a), the fee to renew a Foreign Legal Consultant Certification alternates between $150.00 and $300.00 with every other renewal application. If you are uncertain of the correct filing fee, please contact your Licensure Analyst.
Before you file your application for renewal, verify that you have fully answered all questions on the forms and have included all required documentation. Your renewal form will not be considered filed and may be returned to you if it is incomplete. Examples of incompleteness include, but are not limited to, the following:
3. Filing of Application: Mail or deliver your application and required fees to the Board at the above address. The Board will acknowledge receipt of your application within 30 days. If you do not receive such an acknowledgment by that time, please contact the Board’s office.
since December 14, 2005
Last modified July 20, 2011 02:18 PM
Original web design by Parachute Computer.